Personal Protective Equipment, or PPE, is a term we’ve all become quite familiar with over the past year. With the COVID-19 pandemic, the world has had to embrace the benefits of different types of PPE to protect themselves and others from the virus. But did you know that PPE was already commonly used in several industries even before the pandemic?
Medical, manufacturing, oil/gas, and the chemical industries are just a few of the fields that use PPE daily. In order to protect workers and employees from different hazards and risks that the nature of their work environment may introduce, PPE is often required, not only by an employer but also from OSHA and other health standards. Depending on the type of industry you work in, different types of PPE may be required. Before you purchase your PPE Products, make sure you familiarize yourself with all the PPE options so that you’re best protected from anything you may be exposed to. Here are some of the most popular PPE Products:
- Eye and Face. Eye protection comes in the form of one of four types of glasses: general safety glasses, laser safety glasses, chemical splash glasses, and impact goggles. Each pair of glasses is more suited for different types of environments and satisfies different qualifications of OSHA’s standards. For full-face protection, face shields are your best option, however, should be used with chemical splash goggles and may require additional respiratory equipment.
- Body. Body protection is typically some form of a coat, such as a lab coat, Nomex coat, or barrier coat. Each is made of different materials, making them more suitable for different types of industries and environments. Lab coats are typically made of cotton and are required in wet labs, whereas barrier coats offer more protection against infectious materials. Nomex coats protect against flammable materials.
- Hands. Protecting your hands with the correct type of gloves is essential to safety, as not every type of glove can protect you in every environment. You should also make sure that you are replacing your gloves often enough as they are likely to deteriorate over time.
- Ear/Hearing. One of the most underestimated forms of PPE is hearing protection. Laboratories should request noise monitoring and provide audio testing for their employees to ensure their hearing is kept intact as much as possible. From there, hearing protectors and other recommendations can be made that are specific to the individual, as well as the environment. Commonly used hearing PPE are disposable earplugs, reusable earplugs, and hearing bands.
- Respiratory/Breathing. Popular respiratory PPE products are surgical masks, N-95 respirators, respirator cartridges, and half-mask and full-face respirators.For more detailed information on PPE types, materials, styles, and standards, click here.
Molded Products has been manufacturing Personal Protective Equipment for over 25 years. Let us help out your business with our top-quality PPE products. We offer a variety of PPE products such as MPC-290 Safety Glasses, MPC-300 Safety Visor Face-Shield, MPC-305 Relaxed Fit Safety Visor Face-Shield, and our newest PPE product the MPC-318 Disposable Face-Shield. We have created high-quality products that can protect you in a wide range of environments and workplaces. Molded Products is proud to help protect your health and safety. For more information, fill out a contact form or give us a call at (800) 435-8957.